Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Holiday
- The teacher will introduce the Reading Skill: Comparing Author’s Purpose
- The students will complete introductory activities such as the reading and vocabulary warm-ups.
- The students will complete a first-read of “The Uprooting of a Japanese-American Family” by Yoshiko Uchida.
- The student will complete a reading comprehension quiz to assess understanding of the text.
- The teacher will review the Reading and the Literary Analysis Skills.
- The student will complete a first-read of “The Way to Rainy Mountain” by N. Scott Momaday.
- The students will complete activities associated with these selections, such as the All-in-One workbook Pages and the reading skill questions.
- The teacher will review the model narrative writing assignment model with students.
- The teacher will review the activities from the previous day to check for understanding.
- The students will complete the Open-book-test as a review of the Literary Analysis and Reading Skills and in preparation for the weekly test. May be assigned for homework.
- Students will analyze the model narrative writing model in small groups.
- Students will complete the weekly test including a narrative writing assignment (aligned to CCSS).