Nov. 4-8, 2013
Answer Bellwork: Read page 594. 1. Name 3 uses of neon. 2. What other gases are used in neon lights besides neon
1. read chapter 20 section 1 in groups of 2 ( based on ability) and make their own notes. TSW be given 20-25 minutes to complete the task (depending on what is needed).
2. answer the Self Check questions on page 606 (1-5).
3. Construct foldables study organizer page 601
4. Perform Launch Lab Chemical Bonds and Mixing page 601
5. answer the chapter 20 section 1 Directed Reading and Reinforcement questions pertaining to Stability in Bonding
6. Perform the LAb on page 607 Atomic Trading Cards
7. answer the exit questions on m.socrative.com
Answer Bellwork questions: 1. Explain what a chemical formula is. 2. What is the chemical name and formula for cane sugar and vinegar?
1. read chapter 20 section 2 in groups of 2 ( based on ability)
2.answer the Self Check questions on page 614( 1-5)
3. answer the chapter 20 section 2 Directed Reading and Reinforcement questions pertaining to nonmetals
4. Perform the mini lab on page 612 Observing Bond Type
4. Use Kagan Quiz Quiz Trade to practice elements and symbols
Answer Bellwork question: 1. Explain the difference between a covalent bond and an ionic bond.
1. read chapter 20 section 3 in groups of 2 ( based on ability)
2.answer the Self Check questions on page 621 (1-4)
3. Using shoulder partners, answer the chapter 19 section 3 Directed Reading and Reinforcement questions pertaining to Writing Formulas and Naming Compounds
4. Perform mini lab on page 620
5. Use Kagan Quiz Quiz Trade to practice elements and symbols
CULTURAL DIVERSITY (Science and History)
1. The binary covalent compound silicon dioxide SiO2, also known as quartz or rock crystal, has been revered in many cultures since ancient times. Have students to report on some of the legends associated with SiO2. Cultures include Japanese, ancient Greek, Cherokee Indian, Burmese, Irish, and Scottish.
Answer bellwork: 1. What is an oxidation number? 2. What is a hydrate?
1. answer the Chapter 20 Review questions 1-19 on page 626 including the bubble map
3. Chapter 20 vocab quiz
4. Review for the chapter 20 test
Answer Bellwork: Read page 624 1. What is the chemical name of super glue? 2. How was super glue discovered?
1. answer the post-assessment on chapter 19
2. answer the pre-assessment on Chap 20
3. define all vocab words in chapter 20 and draw an illustration of each vocab word.